So the new Yankee killer has done it again. I thought the Yanks could pull off the sweep tonight, despite facing
Loser Lester on the mound for the Sox… I was wrong. I told Steve T. of “The Boston Red Sox Blog” in the HDLR on Friday that I would congratulate Lester if the Yanks didn’t win it tonight so I have to say it: Congrats Jonathan Tyler Lester… you helped the Yanks make fools of themselves and flushed the Yanks’ chance at 9 straight down the toilet. Seriously… how you manage to get 10 hits and score only two runs [which were scored on a dribbler that didn’t go foul and a walk with the bases loaded] is beyond me. The Pre-All-Star-Game Yanks made a reappearance tonight… and it did not look pretty. If that team is making a comeback I’ll be uber pissed. The winning streak was a hell of a lot of fun while it lasted though. This game, however, was not. The difference in the game was 7 runs… which just so happened to be the number of runners the Yanks stranded tonight… way to go.
Usually these Boskees games are exciting, despite what team wins at the end, but this one was just… blah, so I’ll sum up the game quick and easy: The Yanks got smacked. Cano didn’t even get a hit! That’s how bad it was. The 8 game winning streak will have to rest at 8 and the Yanks will have to try to start another one tomorrow. It’s back to the Bronx for a three game series against Baltimore at the stadium. Mighty Moose will be on the mound for the first game to start the series off right. I smell win #14 in the air and #20 for the season in the vicinity.
– The birthday boy managed to pick himself up two hits tonight… as well as fly out and line out when runners were in scoring position. Glass half full or empty?
– Peace Ponson, it was nice knowing you. Even if the Washburn deal doesn’t happen, Ian Kennedy’s strong performance in his last start in the minors screamed: “Bring me back.” I’m not opposed to giving Ian another shot.
– After the game Sid said this: “I actually felt pretty good but feeling good doesn’t mean anything. … I pitched like crap.” At least he knew it.
– I saw an A-Rod sign go up behind home plate with the man in the batter’s box. That is one verrrrryyyy brave fan… who will likely be leaving Fenway tonight with a couple of bruises that weren’t there before he got there.
– I swear I will throw a fit the next time I hear “Manny being Manny”. Try Manny Being Moronic. The only reason he can get away with half the things he pulls is because a) his bat and b) it’s Boston.