Consider this my contribution to Hope Week.
All bear witness to this fan’s first stroke against the current.
a live 6 win surge for the Yanks and a pleasant change in the AL East
standings following off the All-Star break, the latest item of
discussion by which Yankee fans have unleashed their disdain has
manifested itself with the curious case of Brian Bruney.
Yankee Universe has indulged itself in the familiar of act of berating
the most recent man on the roster delivering less than satisfactory
results.. and there’s nothing Yankee fans do better than releasing
their frustration with humorous criticisms exploiting the current crash and burn failure. [I should know.. Exhibit A: He Who Shall Not Be Named.. Exhibit B: Nuke LaFarnsworth.. Exhibit C: Wilson Betemit.. Exhibit D: The 2008 New York Yankees.. The list is infinite..]
However, this time, for reasons unknown, I have not been hit with the
urge to participate in the blogosphere’s parade against the player with
a lack of success as of yet, so instead, I’ve decided to risk being the
lone wolf on this and attempt to reduce the hostility.
Giving The Guy Some Credit:
– Brun was the guy who went 7.1 innings without allowing a hit at one point at the start of the season.
– Also dominated by virtue of 12 strikeouts in 5.2 innings in April.
– Bad luck hit him with two essentially back to back DL stints.. rust afterward shouldn’t have been a surprise.
– Jose Veras was DFA’d to make room for Brun’s re-return. Rather have Veras?
– He shaved his head and sported a porn star ‘stache this year.
– Insulted K-Rod and kept his cool while the Mets closer threw a tantrum.
– Bruney hadn’t been used since July 10th before today’s appearance.
– Two strikeouts.. two homers.. Post-game response:
“I just wanted to get Mo a save, that’s what a set-up man does.”
A sarcastic comment following a loss isn’t what a fan wants to hear, but after win, c’mon.. that’s funny.
Hope Week, so have some and give the guy a break. At the very least,
try and limit the hasty trade demands/death threats.. Just sayin’.