Consider this my contribution to Hope Week.
All bear witness to this fan’s first stroke against the current.
a live 6 win surge for the Yanks and a pleasant change in the AL East
standings following off the All-Star break, the latest item of
discussion by which Yankee fans have unleashed their disdain has
manifested itself with the curious case of Brian Bruney.
Yankee Universe has indulged itself in the familiar of act of berating
the most recent man on the roster delivering less than satisfactory
results.. and there’s nothing Yankee fans do better than releasing
their frustration with humorous criticisms exploiting the current crash and burn failure. [I should know.. Exhibit A: He Who Shall Not Be Named.. Exhibit B: Nuke LaFarnsworth.. Exhibit C: Wilson Betemit.. Exhibit D: The 2008 New York Yankees.. The list is infinite..]
However, this time, for reasons unknown, I have not been hit with the
urge to participate in the blogosphere’s parade against the player with
a lack of success as of yet, so instead, I’ve decided to risk being the
lone wolf on this and attempt to reduce the hostility.
Giving The Guy Some Credit:
– Brun was the guy who went 7.1 innings without allowing a hit at one point at the start of the season.
– Also dominated by virtue of 12 strikeouts in 5.2 innings in April.
– Bad luck hit him with two essentially back to back DL stints.. rust afterward shouldn’t have been a surprise.
– Jose Veras was DFA’d to make room for Brun’s re-return. Rather have Veras?
– He shaved his head and sported a porn star ‘stache this year.
– Insulted K-Rod and kept his cool while the Mets closer threw a tantrum.
– Bruney hadn’t been used since July 10th before today’s appearance.
– Two strikeouts.. two homers.. Post-game response:
“I just wanted to get Mo a save, that’s what a set-up man does.”
A sarcastic comment following a loss isn’t what a fan wants to hear, but after win, c’mon.. that’s funny.
Hope Week, so have some and give the guy a break. At the very least,
try and limit the hasty trade demands/death threats.. Just sayin’.
Literally.. check the forecast..
Yanks could’ve afforded a roof right?
All jokes aside though.. playoff fight in July.. Gotta love it.
next meeting between the AL East titans isn’t for a couple of weeks,
but the Cold War has already begun. It’s a tie on top following the
latest walkoff in the new ballpark and the dramatic battle for October
baseball that was absent in Yankee Universe last season is about to
have a match lit under it.
Notes on the one from last night first..
A.J. is hysterical. We all knew the pie to the face was coming and now
it’s a game in itself waiting to see how it’ll happen. After this one,
the camera stayed focused on Godzilla at the stadium as the celebration
went wild. Burnett could be seen lurking in the background. Mariano seemed
to be the one to distract Matsui with another handshake as Hideki was
waiting for his on field interview and then the prankster pounced by virtue of assault with a pastry.
Whoever is the guy in charge of the highlights shown mid-inning at the
stadium should be bowed down to. Middle of the first, what is shown on
screen? A highlight reel of Joba Chamberlain, complete with endless
variations of his trademark fist pump.. all surely for Aubrey Smart A**
– Was Melky & A-Rod’s “Bride Wars” type fight for Hideki’s flung batting helmet not hilarious? Alex took his cue from Hudson.
Though it goes without saying, the plays at the plate in the 8th were
beyond incredible.. not solely because they saved the game. Teix’s
throw was “jump onto the field and hug the guy” worthy, as was Molina
& Coke’s effort. Phil’s slamming throw of the ball to the ground
after the ump made his call was beyond badazz.
Beast Of The Ball Game:
With the game winner.. no surprise.
– “Why are they booing?… Boooo… Why are we booing?” – The new mindless level of idiocy at the ballpark never ceases to amaze me.
On Deck: Sergio Mitre is being called up to start in place of Wang, who just a breeder of bad news, to face Rich Hill, with a sparkling 7.22 ERA, for the Orioles, making his first career start against the Yanks. Serg’s chance to make an impression. Make it 5 straight.
And that result would be this:
Over/Under an eternity next time National League wins an All Star Game?
– Hope it wasn’t just me who felt like baseball was dying with the odd “this is the last game that will ever be played” sort of feel to the pre-game.. essentially set it up to be anticlimatic. Producer must receive mid-season Overkill Award.
– Pretty weird, yet cool, to see Major League ballplayers starstruck for a change, during their meet and greet with the President.
That fly swatter himself/leader of our nation, Barack Obama, was called on to toss
the first pitch in this All-Star Game.. and he did so with White Sox
gear.. in the home of the Cardinals.. bold. However, just in
case you didn’t detect it from the boos Mr. President, the sea of red
and white in St. Louis didn’t appreciate the lack of bipartisanship..
– This was a needle to the retina.
Was hoping to see a monster shot from Teix during the ASG, but apparently no one was allowed to take it over the wall at Busch.
– Charlie Manuel has some killer managerial tactics.. The guy still has me wondering how you choose to intentionally walk any guy in a lineup literally
full of All-Stars. The walk served up in the 8th robbed Victor Martinez
of an at-bat in the game, while the guy after him, Adam Jones, drove
in a run with a sac fly.. the run that happened to win the game.
Explanation needed as to why the national broadcasts are always the
worst.. Do we not endure enough sportscaster stupidity, Boston a**
kissing and Yankee salary criticisms throughout the year? Just sayin’.
– Your Quick Bit Of Hilarity: Mo nailing down the save.. for none other than Jonathan Papelbon.. and he wasn’t even the one who truly
saved it for Pap, as Crawford’s catch in left robbed what would’ve been a
game-tying home run. MVP honor well deserved.. “Winning pitcher” label
in this one, not so much..
National League, your time will come.. when Mo
Just about fell in love with it..
The second half of the season.. A 10 game homestand in store for the
Yanks, beginning with a three game set against Detroit, following the
next two off days. It’s that time again.
P.S. No Derby post because.. it was unquestionably lame. Did we all really want ‘roids banned in baseball?
coming off 6 consecutive games falling into the win column, lucky
number 7 would not come without your highness bringing the good fortune
[..just sayin’], so I made an appearance.. Check the picz I
took from the ballpark:
– ‘Bout damn time I go to a game this season where the weather ain’t feces.
– Brun must
get the hookup from Alex a.s.a.p. and tan that scalp.. going baldy
wasn’t smart to begin with but physics 101: skin’s pigment will not
darken where hair was once covering it.. just sayin’ [that probably had
nothing to do with physics..]
Andy Pettitte was my very first autograph.. the guy is the greatest..
and has one set of pex on him. Also got my very first baseball from
Edwar.. though it was actually caught by my friend next to me 2 seconds
before it would’ve hit me in the face because I wasn’t paying attention
for a split second.. For anyone who follows me on Twitter [which you should], you’ll know I’ve been a concussion waiting to happen this week.
– Phil Coke is a funny dude.
– I doubt anyone is keeping score, but put another one on the board for me, as I utterly called the Texual healing homer.
Mariano’s entrance will forever stir goosebumps, but CC’s came
dangerously close to touching it today. I don’t know the song he walked
to the mound to, but the beat and the swag from C-Sab got me pumped.
– A-Rod = beast.
– [Two seconds before the start of God Bless America] “Hey take your hat off you damn terrorist!”
Hughes making another start [possibly his last if Wang is coming back]
facing Jeremy Guthrie. Would love it if that whole 8 run thing that
happened last time he faced the Orioles didn’t happen again. Try and make it 8 wins instead eh?
In The Hole:
– Two words: Joba. Huff.
P.S. Yeah, I’m cool with security like that..
P.P.S. He’s still the coolest, but Swish should definitely whip out the unmetaphorical bad boy, Thunderbolt. Screw the fine. Hit it into outerspace.. or.. to anywhere besides a fielder’s glove [if you didn’t already know that the other uniforms aren’t what you aim for].. Just sayin’..
If three back-to-back-to-back wins don’t have the power to break in this new stadium.. nothing does..
[excluding a WS championship, which I’m unashamed to say I’m fully expecting]..
– I could get used to this walk off thing.
– JD, who I will call Bamm Bamm because he utterly clubs it like Barney Rubble’s boy, is ama-za-zing.
– A.J. needs to send me a pie [preferably to my doorstep and not my face].. I honestly want to know if he makes them himself.. Either way, anyone else find it odd how incredibly intense the dude comes off as on the field and yet he’ll still throw a pie at a guy? It’s like pondering the thought of Jorge wearing clown shoes. Hmm.. I wonder if Posada would ever let A.J. catch him with a pie.
– A-Rod is 5-29 since his return.. 3 of the 5 = home runs.. 10 games, 7 RBI’s. Difference between A-Rod hitting .172 and Tex hitting near Mendoza line = Alex is timing them pretty well. Nice of Tex to finally break out yesterday though. Keep it up?
– What I probably praise more of Teixeira for the game yesterday, rather than the 4 hits and 4 RBI’s, is the fire [which he really displayed in Gomez’s direction]. Though being cool under pressure has been commendable of him despite the criticism, boos and this less than satisfactory start to the year from him, it wasn’t exactly working. Maybe, in Tex’s case, emotion is needed.
– Speaking of, do new reporters become utterly uncreative when it comes to Joba that they feel they must reprint the same stories? The fist pump isn’t disappearing and it has no reason to. Though Huff felt he should give Joba a dose of his own medicine two series ago [sorry on the lateness w/ this], give it a rest. Joba never intentionally shows up anyone [which is why Huff should get two to the back, for both times he acted like an a**] and why should he control his natural emotion when he gets a big out? So that no player gets his feelings hurt? I know the steroids have lessened the manlihood downstairs of some fellas, but seriously, kill the sensitivity. P.S. Must be the con of being a Yankee.
– I realize I’m writing this post in no order whatsoever, but must point out CF monster tag team that is presenting itself with Melky & Brett the Jet.. Playing both of them would be luxury, but I’m satisfied getting as much we can from what the competition will brew.
– Probably missed a lot [and probably said this before], but lastly, the team chemistry is something special this year.
Random Note: I just despise Justin Morneau.. perhaps more than Carlos Friggin Peña..
On Deck: Eggo waffles and Frosted Flakes man Andy Pettitte [said on Yankees On Deck that was his breakfast growing up.. and mine =)] taking the hill in the final game of this series against Glen Perkins. The goal is the sweep.. but the real goal is full embarrassment.. Twins fans: truely sorry.. and as a sympathetic gesture I will give you a very valuable piece of advice: don’t even turn on the TV tomorrow..
In The Hole: CC starting off the next series versus the O’s on Tuesday [and I’m attending] and though I would love to see Huff take a heater to the ribcage, the umps might be as idiotic as the one that tossed Lackey, so save it for the later innings ; ) Or.. bring in Veras for that.. they would undoubted assume it’s his control [or lack of it].
P.S. Will likely host an live in-gamer ma-jig for the game tomorrow [which will be both on YES and ESPNothing but crap].. so let me know who’s up for it.
it’s too early in the season to be let down like this and I’m too tired to elaborate on this disappointment, I’m going to
keep this post short and pay attention to the positives:
1.) The Yanks at least made this guy happy:
2.) A.J. has the opportunity to be the first Yankee starter to notch a K.
3.) Sooner or later the offense will realize ’08 is over… hopefully.
4.) Tex’s updated average is .111. [Yeah, that’s a positive… for obvious reasons.]
5.) Only gave up 7 runs today and 6 walks.. that’s what I call improvement.
– Special thanks to the ballplayer by the name of Derek Jeter for getting us the least bit hype at the end there.
A.J. is on the mound for a 1:35 ET start… but if you look ahead, you
will see that we’re in store for the match-up of a lifetime on Friday night.
Andy Pettitte will be going head to head with… Sidney Ponson. Oh
yeah.. get ready.. lol.
It’s pretty obvious the first game of the season for the Yanks didn’t go quite as planned on Tuesday.. but the Yanks will be making an attempt to redeem themselves by winning their first game of the year tonight with Chien-Ming Wang on the mound. I will be attempting to cover this game with the CiL software.. Anyone that wishes to join the chin wagging, please do.
Game Time: 7:05 p.m. ET
&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;lt;a href=”http://www.coveritlive.com/mobile.php?option=com_mobile&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;task=viewaltcast&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;altcast_code=787c3ee831″ &amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;gt;Game 2: NYY @ BAL&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;lt;/a&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;gt;