The game isn’t even over yet as I write this…
I wish there was a strong enough word to describe the horrible failure that is the Yankees of ’08.
– At least something made me pay attention to the game for more than 5 seconds tonight… I can’t believe Hunter threw a fit over a little nudge from Pudge, but nonetheless, I’m thankful for that. There is nothing more entertaining than watching a catcher take off the mask, ready to make things turn ugly. I kind of felt sorry for Dan Giese though. Hunter steals two bags on him, while Dan is ferociously concentrating on trying to get out of the inning, and then is forced to step in and be the one to hold Torii back.
– A random note here: They really need to start a stat that keeps track of how many times a batter beats out a ground ball DP because I guarantee Abreu would lead in that category hands down. You can take that as glass half full or empty depending on the way you look at it. You can say he hits a lot of potential DP balls with a runner on first [almost always Jeter] or you can say he hustles every time. I’ll take the positive because not many players hustle as often as they should these days and I’m surprised that Bobby even cares anymore to beat out double plays when he’s on a team that has been as trashy as this.
– Since the Yanks will likely keep losing there is no point in saying this but I will anyway… If the Yanks are counting on a catastrophic downfall by the teams ahead of them, similar to that of the downfall of the Mets last year, they should not count on the Red Sox. The beanheads from Boston are not going down and are, in fact, surging ahead. I say the only chance the Yanks have is if the Rays crumble. The Red Sox are a game from being the AL East leaders, while the Rays have lost 6 in their last 7 games. Then again, the Yanks would still have to actually win games to pull off an upset, so forget that I ever said this.
The Yanks will go toe to toe against the Angels tonight in the beginning of a four game set in the Bronx. Andy Pettitte will be on the mound to start the series off for the Yanks. Jon Garland will go for the Angels. I’ll be attempting another in-gamer tonight before I head out for the weekend, though I don’t know if it’ll work out b/c apparently MLBlogs is having server issues [though I just commented on someone’s blog with no problems so we’ll see…] Either way, I’ll be giving updates, and if people are able to comment then fire away. Any and every one is welcome.
5:16: Manny actually gets traded. Manny will now be a member of the Dodgers… how weird does that sound. I wonder if he’d dare to pull any of the antics with Joe Torre as his manager now. Hmm…
5:24: The lineup has changed a lot during the season this year, but it has never looked like this:
A. Rodriguez 3B
I. Rodriguez C
7:10: Pudge is wearing #12. The guy looks good in a Yankee uniform.
7:15: According to Kay, Victor Zambrano has been signed to a minor league contract with the Yanks.
7:18: Pettitte and Ivan seemed to be having a little trouble, but Andy works out of the inning throwing 24 pitches.
7:34: Anderson gets picked off at second. Not a smart move on his part.
7:40: Andy gets out of another pressing inning. Pitch count: 43. I hope he and Ivan can get on the same page tonight.
7:43: Paul O’Neill should broadcast more often. Love him.
7:49: The Yanks are hitless through two. It’s too soon to tell but it’s almost like clockwork that the Yanks show little offense following a blowout… hope that’s not the same case tonight.
8:00: Damn it. I hate the Angels. Score 3 – 0.
8:04: &@%#! 6 – 0. I don’t think it’s too early to call game over right about now.
8:11: Pudge goes down swinging in his first at bat as a Yankee. The crowd cheered when he was announced, then booed faintly when he struck out… kind of hilarious.
8:26: Pettitte is not having the kind of outing I hoped for. He’s at 83 pitches threw four and the Yanks are down by 6.
8:33: Bobby does it again. Homer! His tag team buddy A-Rod, follows him with a double drilled into left center.
8:46: Yanks only able to score one. Let’s see if Pettitte can hold it here.
8:49: And Andy works a 1-2-3. Let’s see if we can get some more offense.
8:58: A triple by Melky and a base hit by JD to drive him in. 6 – 2.
9:01: The Yanks only get one run again, but I’ll take it.
9:12: Andy gets pulled after going 6.1 allowing 9 runs… not a good night.
9:20: Okay… now it’s game over. Damn. Imagine what Pudge is thinking: I come to New York just to get bombed my first game? Score: 10 – 2.
9:30: And Cano can’t stop a ball from going past him for his life right now.
9:46: August starts tomorrow. When are we getting that instant replay that we were promised? These umpires are unbelievable. You’ve got to be kidding me. A 4 year old would’ve got that call right. It’s still a blowout, but the Yanks were showing a lot of life. That just killed it.
9:57: I hate the Angels. I hate the Angels. I hate the Angels.
10:20: Yank attempting a rally again. What is happening?
10:25: Game officially over. That’s 3+ hours of my life I won’t get back.
2 home runs by Bobby. 2 doubles by X-Man filling for him at right. Can we see Abreu at DH just a little more often? Thank you. I don’t know what A+ Abreu likes about those half a days, but he was making some noise in the Bronx today. The guy went 3-4, with 3 RBI’s, 2 homers and 4 runs scored. Not bad. The guy right behind him pitched in some too. A-Rod picked himself up 2 hits [one of the home run variety] and 2 RBI’s. Great day for the offense, which needed to be jump started after the last 3 disappointing losses and LA coming into town tomorrow night. The Yanks also got help on the bases from the O’s though. I mean, their first 5 runs were scored on two hits, but whatever, I’ll take it.
The pitching was solid today as well. Joba made a quality start, going 6 innings, allowing 2 runs on 5 hits, while striking out 6. Though 6 innings does the job, I would love to see him start going a little deeper. Speaking of doing the job, the pen did it again. Edwar relieved Joba and, again, did not allow a hit. Want to know why? Because he only threw one pitch. The pitch sailed over Millar’s head and Ramirez was tossed immediately. I’m pretty sure it wasn’t intentional [though you never know]… but ump, are you serious? The pitch didn’t hit him, no warnings, it was his first pitch and do you think the Yanks would send Edwar, of all people, for retaliation? C’mon. It’s not like the Yanks hate the O’s. They’re nobody… but, all is done. Yanks win anyway.
Andy Pettitte will be on the mound for the Yanks against LA tomorrow night at the stadium. LA will bring their new acquisition, Mark Texiera, to bat, while the Yanks will bring their new-new acquisition, Ivan Rodriguez. Yes, another trade just happened.
– Kyle gets traded for Pudge… c’mon… I was JUST starting to like Farns. Seriously, who will be our new retaliation gun? You can’t teach that kind of ability to induce terror. And… now, can we only get rid of Betemit?
– One of the funniest things I’ve ever seen: Bobby scores in the first with a pretty slide, gets called safe… and then turns around to argue. When he realizes that those cheers weren’t for an out, he says “Oh, okay.”
– Just found out that Farns cried when he heard of the move… ouch. Gotta feel bad for the guy. He finally starts pitching, and then gets shipped.