Literally.. check the forecast..
Yanks could’ve afforded a roof right?
All jokes aside though.. playoff fight in July.. Gotta love it.
next meeting between the AL East titans isn’t for a couple of weeks,
but the Cold War has already begun. It’s a tie on top following the
latest walkoff in the new ballpark and the dramatic battle for October
baseball that was absent in Yankee Universe last season is about to
have a match lit under it.
Notes on the one from last night first..
A.J. is hysterical. We all knew the pie to the face was coming and now
it’s a game in itself waiting to see how it’ll happen. After this one,
the camera stayed focused on Godzilla at the stadium as the celebration
went wild. Burnett could be seen lurking in the background. Mariano seemed
to be the one to distract Matsui with another handshake as Hideki was
waiting for his on field interview and then the prankster pounced by virtue of assault with a pastry.
Whoever is the guy in charge of the highlights shown mid-inning at the
stadium should be bowed down to. Middle of the first, what is shown on
screen? A highlight reel of Joba Chamberlain, complete with endless
variations of his trademark fist pump.. all surely for Aubrey Smart A**
– Was Melky & A-Rod’s “Bride Wars” type fight for Hideki’s flung batting helmet not hilarious? Alex took his cue from Hudson.
Though it goes without saying, the plays at the plate in the 8th were
beyond incredible.. not solely because they saved the game. Teix’s
throw was “jump onto the field and hug the guy” worthy, as was Molina
& Coke’s effort. Phil’s slamming throw of the ball to the ground
after the ump made his call was beyond badazz.
Beast Of The Ball Game:
With the game winner.. no surprise.
– “Why are they booing?… Boooo… Why are we booing?” – The new mindless level of idiocy at the ballpark never ceases to amaze me.
On Deck: Sergio Mitre is being called up to start in place of Wang, who just a breeder of bad news, to face Rich Hill, with a sparkling 7.22 ERA, for the Orioles, making his first career start against the Yanks. Serg’s chance to make an impression. Make it 5 straight.
right. The break is over, the game faces have made their return and no
time’s been wasted for the product of a much needed rest to reveal
itself. Despite the lack of excitement during the extended vacation [for some], void of games that don’t give the illusion that they
count, with the relatively uneventful HR Derby and All-Star Game this
year, the upside following the Midsummer Classic seemingly always
manifests with the surge that comes after. We’ve seen what could be
done with two days rest and now with four, it’s getting interesting.
Fresh From The Break:
– Teix has hit one that may make it to Mars.
– Alex is milking the new stadium for all it’s worth.
– Joba picked up a how to pitch book.
– CC outdueled Verlander.
– And Moose made his return… for a day [as an Old Timer].
– I mega miss Moose.
– Was let down Paulie & Tino didn’t show.
– Would love to see Mickey Rivers take on Brett Gardner. 60 years can’t even slow those legs down. Must have a 90 feet dash for next year’s Old Timer’s Game.
– My calls are on point this year. Check what I tweeted a few seconds before Teix’s bomb.
– I don’t know who was watching the Ranger game two days ago, but it was delayed thrice
not because of bees, midges, or black cats, but because the home plate
ump Brian O’Nora had to take multiple breaks after a ball bounced and
hit him in the worst possible place a male can get hit. Though O’Nora didn’t get on my good side with a game he called in April, took a hell of an effort to remain in that game, so *swisher salute*.
– Teix = beast beast beasssst.
On Deck: Andy Pettitte to start off the next series with Baltimore against David Hernandez. I’ll be there.. looking for four straight.
And that result would be this:
Over/Under an eternity next time National League wins an All Star Game?
– Hope it wasn’t just me who felt like baseball was dying with the odd “this is the last game that will ever be played” sort of feel to the pre-game.. essentially set it up to be anticlimatic. Producer must receive mid-season Overkill Award.
– Pretty weird, yet cool, to see Major League ballplayers starstruck for a change, during their meet and greet with the President.
That fly swatter himself/leader of our nation, Barack Obama, was called on to toss
the first pitch in this All-Star Game.. and he did so with White Sox
gear.. in the home of the Cardinals.. bold. However, just in
case you didn’t detect it from the boos Mr. President, the sea of red
and white in St. Louis didn’t appreciate the lack of bipartisanship..
– This was a needle to the retina.
Was hoping to see a monster shot from Teix during the ASG, but apparently no one was allowed to take it over the wall at Busch.
– Charlie Manuel has some killer managerial tactics.. The guy still has me wondering how you choose to intentionally walk any guy in a lineup literally
full of All-Stars. The walk served up in the 8th robbed Victor Martinez
of an at-bat in the game, while the guy after him, Adam Jones, drove
in a run with a sac fly.. the run that happened to win the game.
Explanation needed as to why the national broadcasts are always the
worst.. Do we not endure enough sportscaster stupidity, Boston a**
kissing and Yankee salary criticisms throughout the year? Just sayin’.
– Your Quick Bit Of Hilarity: Mo nailing down the save.. for none other than Jonathan Papelbon.. and he wasn’t even the one who truly
saved it for Pap, as Crawford’s catch in left robbed what would’ve been a
game-tying home run. MVP honor well deserved.. “Winning pitcher” label
in this one, not so much..
National League, your time will come.. when Mo
Just about fell in love with it..
The second half of the season.. A 10 game homestand in store for the
Yanks, beginning with a three game set against Detroit, following the
next two off days. It’s that time again.
P.S. No Derby post because.. it was unquestionably lame. Did we all really want ‘roids banned in baseball?
Just when you thought a Chamberslaying
had this one in the loss column..
that short right porch comes in handy.
[Starting to like that jet stream.]
Whatever the case may be, Joba is making it really hard to continue
viewing the guy as a starter. I wouldn’t mind having he and Hughes
switch roles right now.
– Whose bright idea was it to bring back up Cody Ransom?
– Hideki on fire. Way to shut me down.
And the Mets moments never end. One went right through Overbay’s legs in this
one.. Don’t know what it is about the Yanks that makes other teams lose
all capability to field the ball, but it’s funny.
Leave it up to Cano to pick up two hits in this game, neither with
runners in scoring position, and yet still find a way to look lost.
Was caught stealing and the king of the ground out in every other
at-bat, including ending the first inning with one with two men on
base. Two hits though, so I can’t completely trash the performance
today.. but I’m doubting he’d have gotten them if the bases hadn’t been
clear.. just sayin’.
– Jeet, Tex and Mo representing the Yanks in the All-Star Game. As with every year, there are some questionable choices
that I’d love to complain about, but it’s expected so I’ll leave it at
that. I have to say though, this year the National League may have a chance.
– There’s still the Final Vote left.. Kinsler got robbed, so get him in.
Beast Of The Ballgame:
4 innings, one hit, 12 out save. Hell of a job.
Last game with the red hats [at last] with Andy on the mound, coming
off a solid start, to close this series out against Ricky Romero, with
a live 20 scoreless innings streak [meaning he’s due to get creamed], for Toronto. How about a four game sweep?
So.. anyone still have a problem with it?
. . . besides this guy:
– Got to see Joba, Hughes and Aceves before the game. Joba is a funny
dude. Buttons, by the Pussycat Dolls, was being played in the stadium
at one point [yeah..] and in the midst of the meet and greet Joba was
jamming, bobbing his head and probably two seconds from busting out
dance moves. He was the last guy to leave from the gate and took a six man
entourage with him, while Aceves could’ve walked out of the Great Hall alone. All three walked right past me, and were all huge and brolic enough to have me scared to touch them..
Speaking of scary.. I know I’ve said it before but A.J. is the ultimate
badazz. Even when the guy laughs or smiles, which he was oddly doing a lot of
during BP for some reason yesterday, he still manages to look sinister.
I was having a convo with a friend about him and brought up something I
would’ve liked to see during interleague. First off, I would’ve gotten
a kick out of seeing A.J. go to bat with biker gloves.. but I would’ve
given every dime I have to see an opposing pitcher have the nerve to
hit him. I can picture Burn just breaking the bat on his knee,
walking to the mound, standing 6 inches away from whoever threw the pitch and just staring
him down till the guy ran away or pissed his pants.. and A.J. then taking his place at first base.
– About the game.. How about that dandy Andy? Return of Mr. Reliable? Solid stuff.
– Two days rest and A-Rod musters up this kind of energy? Do we dare to give him three?
– The stadium may be helping the Melk Man, but I don’t care. 7 homers at home [1 on the road].. Fine by me.
– I’m thinking Girardi should go by the name Slow Joe right now. Finally moved Cano out of the 5-hole, after
a storm of criticism, and last night makes questionably weird move
#82638234 removing Aceves after one batter. Yeah, textbook baseball
tells you to bring in Coke for the lefties, but the micromanaging is
ridiculous. It worked out so no one is throwing a hissy fit, but even Alfredo was
surprised by it, walking off the mound with a sarcastic grin. Hughes
probably wanted to do the same, after warming up for no reason.. Just sayin’..
– Don’t know how it managed not to rain, but good night at the ballpark. Mick Foley was there [I sh*t you not].. and a Paul O’Neill chant broke out.. love it.
Beast Of The Ballgame:
P.P.S. An update.. scaffolding is now completely surrounding the stadium next door and they no longer keep its lights on.. an extremely sad and scary sight. I don’t know what it is but, despite the win, I realized the new stadium didn’t give me the same “God, I love baseball” feeling walking out of it last night as the old one did endlessly. Just started sinking in that the old home is being torn down.
P.P.P.S. This = hilarious.
I’m too worn out [and lazy] to really recap what I’ve failed to blog in a
week [and because the last two series got more than enough headline
coverage.. for two separate reasons], I’m going to keep it simple and
give ya what’s on the brain:
– I don’t know how it’s possible for the Yanks to score 9 runs off Johan Santana, and yet only manage to muster 4 hits off Fernando Nieve.. but it’s pretty funny.
Epic Failure = Luis Castillo.. Sorry Mets fans, but you can never come
back from that. A-Rod didn’t even yell “Ha” on that one.
– Today was my last official day of high school [g’damn, it lasted forever], but something tells me I shouldn’t be enthused. When a grown man throws a fit
because someone dared to make a minor insult about him, the whole “high
school never ends” thing really gains some credibility. Bruney voiced
his opinion and K-Rod responded oh so brilliantly by acting like a
sissy. Way to show his comments really didn’t bother you smart one.
Brun actually intended to apologize, but apparently ‘Cisco needed to act big first [while standing 3 feet shorter..].. would never have guessed those two are the same age.
– Though the guy pulled off a miracle, pitching two
scoreless innings without walking a guy on Saturday, Jose Veras is
still a disease, as his incapability to find the plate has spread to
the starting rotation, which has forced the pen to work overtime. You
can thank the tattoo-bearing, thrown out of a bookstore badazz A.J. Burnett for saving the arms yesterday.. but it’d be nice if you’d manage to kick a** against the one team we really can’t afford to be embarrassed by, A.J… Just sayin’..
– Speaking of Boston.. I have no choice but to hand it to ya.. With an 0-8 record, can’t even attempt to deny the fact the Sox have owned the Yanks so far
this season.. but the fans at Fenway are something else.. “You used
steroids” chant? No offense, but leave it up to Boston fans to state
the obvious. C’mon.. I honestly expected more.
What I didn’t expect.. the Yanks letting Big Papi come out for a
curtain call for his every HR without retaliation.. Granted, they’re very rare from him these days, but.. it’s amazing the incredible amount of things a player can get away with if he isn’t in a Yankee uniform.
– My last thought.. *virtual hour long standing ovation for Mark Teixeira*.. Gotta commend a guy who endured a month long.. um.. initiation,
without a single complaint, while continuing to work till he got it
right.. which he has, as he is tearing it up, and doing the little
things.. The guy really plays his heart out.
On Deck: I’ll be attending tomorrow night’s game while CC is on the hill. The opposing pitcher probably doesn’t matter.. it’s the Nationals.
Also On Deck: St. Louis vs. Detroit.. the Jeffy-Allen showdown.. oh boy =)
P.S. Interesting story here.. Next time you want to have a few words for an ump, watch out.. apparently they can eject more than just the guys on field these days..[in high school games at least]..
And this was how to enjoy it:
[Excuse the misguided Mets fan yelling let’s go Rays.. He’s mentally ill.]
[And yeah.. we celebrated Damon’s shot with Freddy! =)]
Who’s heading into [and leaving] Boston with sole possession of first place?
First off, was there a 5-Hour Energy promotion before the game I didn’t
know about? [Because there should be..] Because the crowd was pretty
pumped last night. The wave went through the entire stadium literally 4 or 5 times straight [despite how corny it is].. Your Quick Bit of Hilarity: When standing up and sitting down and the greatest thing in the world becomes synonymous.
– For the record.. Swish’s bomb? Called it [approximately
10 seconds before the pitch was thrown to be precise].. I must be
somewhere near 7 out of 10 this season now. Finally getting that career
prediction average over the Mendoza Line..
– How about that jet stream?
– Teixeira = beast beast beast beast beast.
– And let the
Joba Hughes bullpen/starter debate begin..
– With the entrance of Mo: “Why everybody clapping?” [I swear, there’s always that one person..]
– Upon noticing a friend was cheering for anything..
Me: “Who are you even rooting for?”
Friend: “I don’t even know.. I’m going for the Lakers.”
– Same Friend: “What quarter is this?”
– Same Friend: “How many points they have? Three right? Three points baby!!”
– “Haha.. B.J... Who would name their child B.J. [Upton]?”
– With crowd yelling “Hugheees”..
Friend: “Why are they booing?”
Other Friend: “So that way they can like strike him out.”
– Me: “SoOoOo, enjoyed the game?”
Red Sox Friend: “Watch.. tomorrow man..”
On Deck: Another Boskees series.. beginning with Burnett and Beckett.. Hmm.. loving this match-up.
P.S. Just re-watched Swish’s innerview that aired on the pregame a couple of days ago.. Swish’s response to what he’d do during a rain delay: “I love naps” Me too, my friend.. me too.