Seriously, what does Leche eat for breakfast?
I know this level of clutch doesn’t come in a Wheaties box.
Felt cheated going to a game with Jeter sitting it out on the bench,
but the “W” when it was all said and done just about changed my mind.
I swear, only in Yankee Stadium would two guys randomly show up in real
St. Louis Cardinals jerseys to a game between the Yanks & Rangers.
– Wang.. thought you were back for a good two innings.
I’ve made a change to my dream job. I now want to be the guy on the
four-wheeler type vehicle that has the dirt sweeper attached.. Couldn’t
tell if he was purposely driving circles in the infield or just had a
few too many beers along with some of the fans, but that dude looked like he
was having a ball.
– The little bromance revealing itself with Mark & Alex strangely has puts a smile to my face. Talk about a tag team.
– Swish is the funniest.
Today, Johnny Damon = beast. The guy really doesn’t even need both
hands.. I honestly feel the ball is just bruised every time he smacks
On Deck: Tampa heading into town for a four game set and the first matchup just so happens to showcase the big bear double half a squiggly versus the David Price. The kid got his first major league win last week.. Shall we give him his first loss?
Friend of mine picked up a couple souvenirs with a towel used by Hughes
[and a practice ball] tossed by a random guy still in the ‘pen after
the game. Don’t know why Hughes needed it on the bench, unavailable
today, but apparently he was sweating for Wang. A bit of advice: Axe
body spray Hughes.
– [Regarding the above].. After getting a good whiff following lifting the towel to his face [reminiscent of something NSFW].. other friend uttered these words: “It smells like man.”
Recent Hilarious Happenings:
-The latest 6 year old temper tantrum in baseball thanks to Carlos Zambrano:
When will they ever listen to Jimmy Dugan?
P.S. Despite the modern twist, with a beverage machine instead of water cooler, Paul O’Neill still takes the cake when it comes to smashing.
– My realization of why Warner Madrigal makes me giggle inside:
Tell me you see the resemblance.
The return of Toronto’s incompetence. The Blue Jay team has finally
dropped out of first and have begun their decline, which was clearly
highlighted by a stellar effort yesterday. Halladay going 7, leaving with a 5 run lead and still a loss? That is more like it.
– Cash’s trip to the mound last
night that lasted all of two seconds, in which no words were exchanged.
Picking up the rosin bag, dropping it and jogging back? Classiiic. The look on A.J.’s face? Priceless.
.. which no doubt would’ve gone well with this screencap of “The Teixecutioner” at work:
For anyone wondering.. ^that^ is the first step to crushing a baseball.
– CC, Swish and some of the other guys heading to the NBA playoff game in Cleveland tonight, according to Bryan Hoch. Cavs must win with the boys in the building.
Seriously.. what would it take for Veras to disappear? With the way the
Yanks work, the only answer I can muster is.. improvement. Veras
apparently learned a valuable lesson from Nuke LaFarnsworth.. continue
to be an epic failure and you’ll keep getting the ball. Start getting
guys out and they’ll up and ship you to Detroit.
Unfortunate to see Melk out of the lineup for at least the next few
days, but Brett The Jet never ceases to amaze. The legs on Speedy
Gardzalez makes baserunning seem like a sport all its own.
Saltalamacchia’s rainbow-esque display of his name on his back is
chuckle-worthy enough.. but Flash’s struggle with pronouncing it gave
me another good laugh.
– According to Pete Abe, Posada will be activated tomorrow..
– An update: Tex = beast.
Yanks were tied for first before the Sox unfortunately won their game
today.. but I’m thinking Yanks claim sole possession real soon.
Pettitte facing Cliff Lee tomorrow in a game I won’t see because it’s
Prom night, so I hope Andy will mow ’em down while I’m watching people do idiotic things.
In The Hole: I’m hoping continued dominance from double half a squiggly.
Off The Bench: Hughes taking on he who must not be named.. Would love to see some retribution this time.. but more importantly.. Must see him stub his toe or someone drive a ball at him.. No way Cleveland gets to have him for a full season either..
P.S. I was randomly watching women’s college softball on ESPN today [no idea why] but upon stating that one of the female players was a “loyal Seattle Mariners fan”, one of the analysts actually said “you’d kind of have to be loyal to be a fan of Seattle”.. burrrnnnn.
Yeah, it’s possible.. Have two teams with powerful offenses go head to head and a blowout as a result is not so surprising.. However, one in which the winning team did not smack a single ball over the fence?… Who knew…
Check out the beauty of a box score:
19 hits spread throughout the lineup [none of which were of the long ball variety], 11 runs [none of which scored via the long ball], and 4 RBI’s by the king of the long ball [none of which were a result of the long ball].. surprising, and yet good stuff.
– Brun heading back to disabled list after only one appearance. I hate to throw he who must not be named into the air, but I must say.. you’ve just about used up your DL tokens for the year Bruney. Hope you figure out the problem.. and don’t suffer any bruised buttocks in the process.
– You can obviously partly attribute the turnaround by Tex to the return of the guy hitting behind him, but Marky is now getting hits [and homers] off broken bats.. That is all his amazingness [and hopefully not that of banned substances]..
– Didn’t write about the games these last few days, but bringing up Melky’s magic here is necessary. The Walk-Off Wonder Boy has been putting on a show. Someone should really change the scoreboard and make it the 9th for his every at-bat.
– Bowing down to the performance of Hughes right now. Holding the Rangers to 3 hits, allowing merely one walk, over 8 innings? Definitely WWE belt worthy [and apparently Phil wasn’t afraid to flaunt it.. doing post-game interviews with the belt on his shoulder.. haha]..
– I reiterate: A-Rod = beast.
On Deck: Joba on the hill again following the less than an inning outing he made versus Baltimore after being hit with a liner. He faces Kevin Millwood in the second game of this series with my second favorite team [though, sorry, Yanks get 99.99% of my love]..
P.S. I’m all for honoring the soldiers who’ve fallen and America itself.. but caps the color of red? Really? Sure, it goes with white and blue on the flag.. but not with the Yankee uniform.. just sayin’..
If three back-to-back-to-back wins don’t have the power to break in this new stadium.. nothing does..
[excluding a WS championship, which I’m unashamed to say I’m fully expecting]..
– I could get used to this walk off thing.
– JD, who I will call Bamm Bamm because he utterly clubs it like Barney Rubble’s boy, is ama-za-zing.
– A.J. needs to send me a pie [preferably to my doorstep and not my face].. I honestly want to know if he makes them himself.. Either way, anyone else find it odd how incredibly intense the dude comes off as on the field and yet he’ll still throw a pie at a guy? It’s like pondering the thought of Jorge wearing clown shoes. Hmm.. I wonder if Posada would ever let A.J. catch him with a pie.
– A-Rod is 5-29 since his return.. 3 of the 5 = home runs.. 10 games, 7 RBI’s. Difference between A-Rod hitting .172 and Tex hitting near Mendoza line = Alex is timing them pretty well. Nice of Tex to finally break out yesterday though. Keep it up?
– What I probably praise more of Teixeira for the game yesterday, rather than the 4 hits and 4 RBI’s, is the fire [which he really displayed in Gomez’s direction]. Though being cool under pressure has been commendable of him despite the criticism, boos and this less than satisfactory start to the year from him, it wasn’t exactly working. Maybe, in Tex’s case, emotion is needed.
– Speaking of, do new reporters become utterly uncreative when it comes to Joba that they feel they must reprint the same stories? The fist pump isn’t disappearing and it has no reason to. Though Huff felt he should give Joba a dose of his own medicine two series ago [sorry on the lateness w/ this], give it a rest. Joba never intentionally shows up anyone [which is why Huff should get two to the back, for both times he acted like an a**] and why should he control his natural emotion when he gets a big out? So that no player gets his feelings hurt? I know the steroids have lessened the manlihood downstairs of some fellas, but seriously, kill the sensitivity. P.S. Must be the con of being a Yankee.
– I realize I’m writing this post in no order whatsoever, but must point out CF monster tag team that is presenting itself with Melky & Brett the Jet.. Playing both of them would be luxury, but I’m satisfied getting as much we can from what the competition will brew.
– Probably missed a lot [and probably said this before], but lastly, the team chemistry is something special this year.
Random Note: I just despise Justin Morneau.. perhaps more than Carlos Friggin Peña..
On Deck: Eggo waffles and Frosted Flakes man Andy Pettitte [said on Yankees On Deck that was his breakfast growing up.. and mine =)] taking the hill in the final game of this series against Glen Perkins. The goal is the sweep.. but the real goal is full embarrassment.. Twins fans: truely sorry.. and as a sympathetic gesture I will give you a very valuable piece of advice: don’t even turn on the TV tomorrow..
In The Hole: CC starting off the next series versus the O’s on Tuesday [and I’m attending] and though I would love to see Huff take a heater to the ribcage, the umps might be as idiotic as the one that tossed Lackey, so save it for the later innings ; ) Or.. bring in Veras for that.. they would undoubted assume it’s his control [or lack of it].
P.S. Will likely host an live in-gamer ma-jig for the game tomorrow [which will be both on YES and ESPNothing but crap].. so let me know who’s up for it.
.. when you have a get out of jail free card for the bullpen [specifically the worthless Jose Veras] that looks like this:
Anyone looking for my live reaction from the 8th on [and another accurate prediction], check it:
We need A-Rod in the lineup because? *Major applause for Peña..*
Errrt.. screeching halt on the comeback.
Did Alby just pitch a 1-2-3? My eyes must deceive me. If that truly just happened, there is no way we can lose this game.
Tex didn’t K? I repeat: There is no way we can lose this game.
Hip Hip Mother Eff-n Jorge!!
Didn’t even record an out in the 9th.. say whhatttt. Gracias Fuentes. =)
Classic. Unbelievably satisfying win.
Though I will mildly criticize him and point out the eery trend showing
regarding pitching performance vs. who’s behind the plate, I can not say
enough how much I miss Jorge’s bat in the lineup. ’08 may have not been
such a nightmare had Posada been healthy.
You know things are definitely heading in the right direction when the
team that gives the Yanks hell do what they usually do [come back when
the Yanks have a solid lead] and the Yanks still pull off a win. Me like.
However, probably the most shocking thing about this game was not the
comeback itself, but the fact that it was done without King of New
York, Nick Swisher, who came out of the game after taking a pitch to
the elbow. After the game, when told by Kim Jones “Girardi
says he’d be surprised if you can go tomorrow”, the definition of
awesomeness said in response: “Let’s see if we can surprise him.” I
take it isn’t serious.
– Fact Of Baseball:
Sometimes it’s okay to be glad of an injury.. such as that of Cody
Ransom. If he had not hit the DL, Ramiro Peña [a.k.a. the guy that
knows how to bring it] would still be riding the bench, instead of
putting on a show. Great job by A-Rod’s backup’s backup.
Trying not to bash because he got on base to start it off in the 9th,
but Tex’s average couldn’t look any uglier. He’s trying but, it isn’t good enough. He had said it best after Monday’s loss
to Detroit: “I’m here to produce, not have good at-bats. Good at-bats don’t do anybody any good.” [Yeah, Yogi-esque.]
Oh, and the C&C boys are baaaaack. Robbie has been hot since day one and now Melky is officially giving Gardner a run for his money.
On Deck: Speaking of a double dose of half a squiggly, the big man CC is taking the mound for a Saturday afternoon game facing Matt Palmer. 5 straight?
I can’t tell who it was but Hilarious celebratory dance by someone Joba [thanks for the confirmation Level] in
the dugout after the Posada homer in the 1st. You can see the hilariousness at the :10
ish mark here.
P.P.S. I don’t care how much they play it during the game, I can’t get enough of this commercial:
P.P.S. Dear Tampa Bay Rays: Thanks. You go from worthless to first place last year and now the Canadians think they can do it too. Look what you’ve started.. If the Nationals manage to even begin to come close to playing over .500 this year, I swear the fabric of baseball will completely tear.
First, I present to you the dominance:
That pretty much says it all for this game doesn’t it?
– Though I hate to slam Michael Kay [because unlike the many that are dissatisfied with him, I actually enjoy his play by play better than any other] he was unfortunately clueless today. At one point, a heckler decided to relieve his boredom by shouting out a few profanities and when the camera turned
to Joe G., who was obviously trying to get security on it, Kay didn’t know
what was going on, and thought Girardi was trying to call Jorge back
[who was on the batting circle]… and then, upon realizing the
situation, decided to commend Girardi for having a keen eye on things
and the talent to pay attention to the field as well as things like
that… Yeahh.. sorry, but I believe the hard part is not
paying attention to a thing like that. If I could hear the heckler half
a country away [thanks J for the geography lesson] then I’m sure
Girardi didn’t have to try hard to be aware of that.
– It was a day off for the B-Day boy, as Tex was scratched before the game because of a sore left wrist. He is scheduled to play tomorrow so it looks as if it isn’t serious, thankfully.
Though I do not gamble, in any way shape or form, *cough cough* I would
bet my live savings [currently 50¢] that Swish is in the lineup
tomorrow. Girardi would get a tomato tossed at him from New York if he
isn’t [and I’ll make sure it gets there in time..]
– One person I don’t want to see in the lineup tomorrow: Cody Ransom. Give Pena a try, Cody’s not cutting it.
Finally the mystery as to how Swish is doing it is solved: 3 Red Bulls
a game.. I smell a future commercial coming. I guarantee he rips the
skin off the ball one of these days.
P.S. Word has it that DJ Swish is going to use Thunderbolt in his next at bat for dramatic effect.
On Deck: Joba’s first start of the season, going head to head against Gil Meche, with a game time of 2:10 p.m.
… and no, it wasn’t restored just with a win.
What Happened [That We Wished Would’ve Happened 3 Days Ago]:
1.) The offense scored a load
2.) the starting pitcher for the Yanks notched a K [multiple ones in fact]
3.) Tex forced O’s fans to realize best attribute: shutting up [which is tied for further making fools of themselves]
6.) Mariano Rivera did what Mariano Rivera does [sit them down at any age because he’s Mariano Rivera]…
Fellas: This is more like it.
– Gotta love this quote by Michael Kay today: “Sometimes even a Lamborghini
or a Bentley has trouble getting out of the garage, but once it hits
the highway…” [he didn’t finish the sentence because it was obvious
that what happens is this.]
Congratulations to Ramiro Pena for getting his first big league hit in
his first at-bat. Damon teasing him by tossing the ball [not the real
base hit one] into the stands was good stuff, lol.
– I love Nick Swisher.
– If you listen to the post game interview of the man mentioned above [which you can hear on Pete Abraham’s blog here] you can hear the music he played in the clubhouse today. He blasted some Snoop [which I did as well to pump me up for my pre-spring training workout]. When asked “You don’t actually ever give up on being an everyday player right?” his response was “Oh hell nah.” Lol.
On Deck: Pettitte vs. Sidney Ponson tomorrow afternoon… really looking forward to this, lol.